Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Rust and Indigo combine in a fishy quilt

This is another version of a rusty fish quilt ... rusted onto cotton fabric from a corrugated fish that now hangs on the outside of our house.  After the fabric was rusted and well rinsed I dipped it in the indigo vat to get a medium blue background.

The fabric was then sandwiched with cotton quilt batting and a commercial fabric on the back and then quilted in wavy lines.  The fish was outlined with stitching and some of the key features were quilted.

Then it was on to the hand stitching . . . I chose to stitch the blue areas of the fish in a seed stitch and the rusty areas with layers of elongated stab stitches.  So far I have used two shades of rust to stitch the rusty areas but I might be adding another.

I have just started on the fins and have left the head and that gorgeous eye until the end ... you'll have to come back again to see what I do with that :)

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Canada 150: Red and White

2017 is Canada's 150th Birthday and this art quilt celebrates the occasion in red and white!  The red maple leaves were painted using hand-cut stencils that I made from locally gathered leaves. The background has been free motion machine quilted and hand stitched and then organza maple leaves were stitched along some of the leaf veins so that they add more movement and texture.

This piece is headed to the Salmon Arm Art Gallery for their Red and White exhibit that opened last night.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Snow-dyeing in January

We have a lot of light fluffy snow outside right now so it seemed to me that I should try out snow dyeing. Following is a short tutorial on how to do this yourself, using Procion MX dye powder and cotton fabric.

The fabric needs to be soaked in a soda ash solution before dyeing ... mix 1/2 cup soda ash in a little warm water to dissolve the crystals and then add one gallon of water in a large pail.  Soak your cotton for 10 - 30 minutes, depending on how heavy the fabric is. The leftover soda ash solution can be saved for future use.

While the fabric is soaking, prepare your dyeing container:  I used dollar store kitty litter trays with a grid from a broiling pan (which happened to fit perfectly over two of the litter trays. For my third container, I used a large bowl that I keep for dyeing and a smaller grid.  This is a photo after the dyeing was finished and the dyed snow had melted into the bottom ... I forgot to take a "before" picture.

When the fabric has soaked, wring it out (remember the rubber gloves) and place the fabric on the grid. You can scrunch it, as I did in the first two pieces I made or fold it, as I did to create the grid-like pattern in the third sample in the top photo. Now add heaps of snow to cover the fabric and then sprinkle your dye powder onto the snow.  Remember the rules for mixing colours ... the fabric on the left, above, was yellow and turquoise (makes green!) and the other two were combinations of fuchsia and turquoise with black.
Yellow and blue
blue and red and more black
red and blue with little black
 Cover the trays with plastic (I used a large clear recycling bag) and let it sit for 24 hours until the snow has melted and the dye has set into the fabric.

Carefully remove the dyed fabric and rinse it several times in cool water until it is almost clear and then add a couple of drops of synthrapol to a warm water wash.  Dispose of the dye water in a safe manner ... This is considered safe for disposal but I don't put anything like this into our septic system, but choose to pour it onto the ground where I know it will not disturb the balance of nature.

Here are a few more photos of the fabric while it was hanging to dry, and again once it was all pressed.  You will see that I also dyed a piece of cheesecloth in with each batch of fabric as that is something that I always like to have on hand.  I meant to dye some embroidery threads, too, but forgot until it was too late to add them :(

Wet fabric

Remember to practice good safety measures and wear a mask when handling powdered dyes, eye protection, rubber gloves, and a plastic cloth to cover your workspace and an apron to cover you.

I hope you will have fun with this technique and let me know your results!

Monday, January 9, 2017

Tablerunners for a change

 I have been having fun making some quilted tablerunners this week ... The one above is made from gorgeous fabric that I purchased last year with this in mind. The reverse is a coordinating brown fabric.
This next tablerunner is a modern depiction of west coast native-style art animals.  Black on white with a tiny dark red flange inside the binding. The reverse is solid white with the black binding.
This is a very contemporary runner ... grey background with black concentric circles and silver writing.  I have quilted it with circles within circles and added a grey flange to the black binding. Black reverse side.
This one is a tabletopper (not quite as long as a runner) that would look great on a coffee table or in the centre of your dining table.  It is quilted in watery lines and the reverse side is black.

All of these could be reversed for double the use.  They are now available in my Etsy shop (kathykinsella.etsy.com) where there are more photos of them as well as details on the measurements etc.