Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Felted Fibre Art Cuffs

This is a busy time of year for those who sell handmade items for the Christmas market. Right now, I am in between two artisans show/sales in which I am participating this year . . . and I'd like to tell you about one of the items that I have created for these sales.  Cuff bracelets have been appearing in a variety of fibres and techniques over the past couple of years and I started selling some of them in my Etsy shop this year. They have been fun to create because of the incredible scope of embellishment.


I make cuffs in many techniques, but the cuffs pictured in this post are needle felted . . . dyed wool roving, threads, spun yarn and even bits of silk have been needle felted onto a base of either felted wool or synthetic wool and then they have been accented with hand embroidery stitches and a bit of beading before adding the handmade button closures. These buttons are from another Etsy seller, 2goodclaymates who also happens to live in the Shuswap area.  Carolyn custom matched the colours in some of the cuffs to come up with the buttons ... and others I found in her "ready made" collection.


The cuff on the left in the photo above has the added flourish of a burned organza ruffle around the edges which makes it so spectacular on your arm.

These cuffs are some that I created this week after selling so many of my cuffs at the sale last weekend, that I had to replenish my stock. If they don't sell this weekend, they will later be listed in my Etsy shop.

If you live in the Okanagan . . . do drop in at the Okanagan Artisans Show and Sale at the Best Western Vernon Lodge (in Vernon) this Friday, November 23 (noon to 9pm) and Saturday (9:30-3:30).  I will be there along with my felting friend, Gwen Martinuk who will be selling her gorgeous felted scarves and accessories as well as delightful felted birdhouses ... you'll fall in love with them as soon as you see them! 


1 comment:

DownHome Designs said...

Gorgeous cuffs, Kathy! I hope you sell them all!