Sunday, January 27, 2013

More of the northern lights


This is the second art quilt in my Northern Lights series and you will see many similarities in design to the first one . . . for this art quilt, I needle felted the aurora borealis in another lively design but when I was quilting, I also densely quilted the background of the sky.  The trees in this art quilt are made from commercial batik that is dark teal and is great for nighttime trees. I like the way that the trees are silhouetted against the bright sky.

The wool roving that I have used has a beautiful sheen to it which works very well in creating the lights.  There is a bit of purple and blue added to the deep indigo sky which adds a wonderful depth. Below is a closeup of part of the treeline.


This art quilt measures 15.5" x 24" and has a black backing and a hanging sleeve. The colours in these photos are not a vibrant as they are in real life, so I will be taking some more using different camera settings to see how I can make them better.

4 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful Kathy..So much going on in that sky.

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Gorgeous! What a great way to depict the northern lights.

DownHome Designs said...

Kathy, I like this one even better than the first. The lights look so realistic! Beautiful!

Nina Delaune said...

Kathy,
Just beautiful the way you have mastered the art of felting with wool roving!!!