Monday, March 26, 2018

Eco print, Indigo and Rust

What a combination of natural processes have gone into this new art quilt.  The cotton fabric was eco printed with leaves from my garden ... then the long edges of the fabric were dipped into the indigo vat to give just a hint of pale blue ... then I rusted it on an old iron trellis found in my yard.

I wanted to have a take-long piece to work on when travelling.  I find that hand stitching passes the time when flying (and eases my anxiety as well!) so I chose a piece that will have LOTS of handwork on it.  I sandwiched this piece of fabric with cotton batting and backing and then machine free-motion quilted around the rusty elements and down the indigo-dipped edges before applying an invisible binding. The result is pretty wonderful already, but I have lots of hand stitching to do on this piece as well as some applique, so check back to see how it progresses . . . and to see a full view.
The finished size is approximately 14" x 52"

No comments: